Thursday, August 13, 2009

Review- Hair Rules Salon, NYC


Announcing the first ever multi-textural salon!
828 9th Ave. btwn 54th & 55th St.
(212)315-2929
Hair Cut- $100-$250
Full Highlights- $205

Hair Rules Salon is a brand-spanking-new (it opened in July '09) set on the west side of Manhattan in Hell's Kitchen, which is nothing like it sounds. My first impression was that I loved the shiny newness of the salon, yet it felt comfortable. I was greeted at reception and met the owner, Anthony Dickey, who goes simply by Dickey. He was very cordial and promised me a great cut and color. Hair Rules delivered on that promise.

Katiria who did my highlights is a total sweetheart. She did not approve of the highlights I had and told me that lowlights are basically a waste of time because they fade out so quickly (who knew?). Since I'm not one to schedule my hair appointments like a drill sergeant, I guess I won't be getting any more lowlights. She did a great job giving me the brown- not blonde!- highlights I requested and my hair looks very natural. It's been a few weeks and the highlights are still holding up beautifully.

For the cut, Dickey himself cut my hair (I was so excited!) Even though the salon specializes in wavy, curly or kinky hair, Dickey is obviously a master of all hair types because he cut my pin straight hair meticulously and beautifully. I have a lot of layers in my hair, especially framing my face. Dickey skillfully took care of all the dead ends on my layers without making my hair look too thin (which is a real magic trick if you ask me). I highly recommend a haircut with Dickey if you can't stand sitting too long in a hairstylist's chair. He did an excellent, thorough job in about 30 minutes. The only thing I'm not thrilled with are my bangs, but I blame myself for that. I should have told him in advance that I wasn't happy with the shape of my bangs before the cut.

Overall my experience at Hair Rules was a pleasant one. They gave me some of their signature products to take home and try, so keep an eye out for those reviews.

No comments: