Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review- Highlights @ Arrojo Studio SOHO NYC

Arrojo Studio 180 Varick St. New York, NY 10014 (212)242-7786

That hair you are looking at with the gorgeous brown tones and not a hint of blonde is on my head and I'm loving it! Let me explain- you see, when you get highlights, everyone assumes that you want to go blonder. As with me, that is not always the case. I want a brown close enough to my own so that when it starts to grow in it's not that obvious. Why get highlights at all you might ask? Well my answer is a four letter word- gray! It happens to the best of us eventually. Anyway I went to see Kelly at Arrojo Studio to get rid of those blasted hairs that remind me of my age.

To be honest, I had never heard of Arrojo until recently, then when I did, I was hearing about it everywhere. They are some major heavy hitters on NY's hair front. When their PR person offered to let me review the salon I jumped at the chance.

First impression- the place is huge (it even has a café in it!) and it runs like a well oiled machine. I was treated like someone special from the moment I walked in the door. I don't believe that this was due to the fact I was there to do a review, I think everyone who visits the salon gets "A-List" treatment. I met my colorist Kelly and we immediately hit it off in both the personality & hair departments. I told her I wanted my highlights more brown so that re-growth wouldn't be so obvious. She used about 5 different colors to do my highlights and lowlights which initially made me a little nervous. But let me tell you- the result is fantastic. My hair looks so natural but with the kind of highlights you usually only see in children's hair. My hair only better. The end product showed she really listened to what I was looking for because she went beyond what I pictured to something much better. As an added bonus, Kelly is a funny, genuine person which made the fact that the color took 3 1/2 hours much more bearable. This is no quick fix filling station. I guess it takes extra time to get highlights so perfect.

Overall I am so happy with my hair color. I especially recommend Kelly, but using her as a barometer I would recommend visiting Arrojo Studio in a heartbeat. If you are in or near NYC for whatever reason, it's definitely worth it to treat yourself to great hair color.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. I have been seeing Ellie at Arrojo for the past few years and she understands that a highlight does NOT mean BLONDER. She has even corrected a "westchester" highlight I stupidly had done - bleach only - way TOO blonde. She is worth every penny and any inconvenience to get to the salon. No one notices that I've had anything done to my hair -- it just suddenly looks gorgeous.