Monday, November 9, 2009

Review - Philip B Peppermint & Avocado Volumizing & Clarifying Shampoo


One of our most acclaimed products, this is a clarifying cleanser and powerfully active aroma-therapeutic scalp treatment in one. Formulated with sixteen pure plant extracts; eleven essential and carrier oils; and a potent, active dose of 2.3% pure Peppermint oil, the shampoo works as a local anesthetic to soothe scalp tension, stimulate circulation, and leave your scalp feeling tingly fresh and clean. PHILIP B® Peppermint & Avocado Volumizing & Clarifying Shampoo also lifts away product residue -- restoring your hair's natural shine and vitality without without compromising its precious moisture and elasticity.

My brother, as a teen, used to use Head & Shoulders shampoo (what up dry Wisconsin winters), which he for some reason was really into. Like, he was a fan of Head & Shoulders. When they came out with new scents or formulas, he was ON IT. There was one version called "Refresh" that had, I don't know, extra ZING or something, and he used to say that it felt like "toothpaste for [his] head."

That is the best description for this Philip B Peppermint & Avocado Volumizing & Clarifying Shampoo I can think of: it is like toothpaste for my head. You know when you brush your teeth, and it's SO MINTY that you're like "oh my god, this mint flavor is going to make my head explode," but in a good way? That's this shampoo, but on your scalp. It's super-invigorating, almost painfully so (again...in a good way). The avocado is barely a player in this peppermint assault. Peppermint is George Michael here; avocado is Other Guy from Wham! Sorry, Other Guy from Wham!, and sorry, avocado.

The two main complaints I have about this shampoo are a) the price (are you surprised? I am cheap, y'all) and b) the amount I feel like I need to use to get my head clean. I feel like I need to use twice as much of this stuff as I do of my normal drugstore brand to get a good lather worked up. And at $28 for a 7.4 oz. bottle? This is not going to be my regular shampoo. However, it did get my always-greasy head lovely and clean. I would say if you're going to use this, save it for the day you put way too much product in your hair and then went to the gym - the clarifying properties will refresh your head and get rid of the gunk. But for every day? Even a peppermint explosion isn't worth the money.

No comments: