Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Review - Sony Dakar Blue Mask (Irritation)


For normal to combination skin, this cooling mask helps calm skin while absorbing irritating impurities. Formulated to meet eco-friendly principles, this mask is free of parabens, sulfates, petrochemicals, artificial fragrances and dyes.

I put sunscreen on the other day, I swear. But I was out and about a bit longer than I anticipated, sweated a lot, and ended up with a slightly pink nose and ruddier-than-usual cheeks. So I figured the Blue Mask from Sonya Dakar might help, since it's intended to assist with irritation and has some cooling properties. I slathered it on, looking slightly ghoulish, but hoping for good results. After a few minutes, I felt a slight warming sensation, something I attributed to the fact that my face had been pelted with UV rays all afternoon. But when I removed the mask, I was horrified: my face, formerly only red on the parts that get the most sun - my nose and cheeks - was completely red. Everywhere. Well, not quite everywhere- just the places the mask had been.

I freaked out. "What happened! This is supposed to be cooling! This is supposed to stop irritation, not create it!" I shrieked to my roommate, who was just trying to enjoy an episode of Kendra and a beer. "It's probably fine," she said, barely looking up. "Maybe it's, like - it makes it worse before it makes it better. Just go to bed and worry about it in the morning."

I took her advice and lo and behold - it was totally fine in the morning. Better than totally fine, actually - the redness had gone away and was even reduced from my previous day's foray into skin cancer territory. Moral of the story: if you try this Sonya Dakar mask, don't try it right before a big event like the Oscars or the Truckasaurus Rex Showdown. And if you react badly at first, give it a bit and see if it doesn't clear up.

Deedlejuse Says: So, generally speaking Amanda S. and I have really similar views on many products. Unfortunately, this one is not the same. My skin is pretty sensitive, so this mask really was pretty noticeable while I was wearing it. When I took it off (it did come off really easily and apply like a dream) my skin was literally screaming, bright red, and looked really angry with me. The irritation I was tring to get rid of were a few pimples I have gotten recently from stress, and seriously, so not worth it! I did notice the next day that my skin was back to its normal color, and the pimples had really diminished, but I would say that if you find that you have sensitive skin leave this mask for others..... Or if you have intensely irritated skin, I guess.

No comments: