Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Review- Arrojo Shower Gel

"Featuring mineral-rich formulas, our three body washes all smooth, mousturize and rejuvenate the skin." 10.1 fl. oz. for $14

"This smells like Europe," I said to my friend after I opened the bottle of Arrojo Floral Citrus Body Wash to take a whiff.
"What? That doesn't make any sense."
"No, it smells like Europe. Smell it."
"Fine, but I still say - OH MY GOD. It does smell like Europe."
Nick Arrojo, best known as the strange, hairstyling elf on TLC's What Not To Wear, has produced, for some reason, a line of products - not just for hair, but also body washes and other skincare items. I suppose expanding your brand is important - I mean, even Lindsay Lohan has a self-tanner, and she's barely even a celebrity anymore - but why Arrojo decided that body washes, in particular, would be a good idea is beyond me.

This is not to say the Floral Citrus body isn't fine. It is. It smells great (like Europe; specifically, like a hotel I stayed in in Spain), it lathers fine, and gets me clean. But there's nothing particularly amazing about it to explain or excuse the price point ($14/10 oz) - that's like five bucks more than Bath and Body Works, and I already think they're overpriced. So if you happen to be an Arrojo client or you really like him on WNTW, go for it! You won't be disappointed. But if you're just a regular gal looking to get clean and smell nice, there's bound to be a drugstore brand that will work just as well.

Amanda S. Says: Major points for caring enough about rhubarb to make a rhubarb scent of shower gel... because this is definitely my favorite scent that is 'fruity' in nature. And sure, it is a great shower gel, it lathers, it cleans squeaky and nice, rinses off, clean clean clean... But that's about it. I do love using it because I love the smell (although not like Europe, it does remind me of pie I think I once ate in the Berkshires).

Josephine adds: I, too, experienced the ambience of a Parisian boutique hotel clawtub bath with my Arrojo Rhubarb Shower Gel. I kid you not, I literally thought to myself, "How European" when I first flipped the cap open. And, really as far as shower gels go, I mostly just look for a pleasant scent that does not either change my life or ruin it and this one satisfies. I have to add though that I also have the Arrojo Sweet Pachouli Shower Gel and if I am honest here, I was fearful that by using it I would be forced to relive my sort of violent distaste of this essential oil circa my college days in the early 90s. However, after just one use, I like it better than the Rhubarb. The shower gel's combination of scented notes comes together like some woodsy forest-y fantasy where I could suddenly imagine what it might be like to be a tiny woodland creature playing under the canopy of trees early in the morning. Seriously, the scent is really that divine.

Trish Says: I have to agree with Josephine completely! This scent is divine. I really liked this shower gel. A lot. I know it is on the pricey side for body cleansing products, but I try to make up for the price and think of how much I'm saving on not needing additional body lotion, oil and sprays after using one product from Arrojo. I tried the patchouli scented gel and with such a strong fragrance as patchouli it takes a delicate touch to pull it off. Arrojo Shower Gel seemed to have done it remarkably! Their patchouli scented gel is light, earthy and sensuous. It really doesn't come on too strong or offensive, but instead it provides a secondary whiff of aromatic bliss. The best part of the gel is feeling super clean after a shower, no soapy buildup, or extra residue - just a silky finish leaving your body feeling soft, light, and smelling sensual. Even on a humid overcast day in the city, I didn't feel sticky at all after using this cleanser and was especially glad that I had used it earlier.

Hillary says: This shower gel has all the components I feel make a great shower gel: it lathers nicely, it smells wonderful, it doesn't compete with my perfume and it leaves me feeling clean without drying me out. I have the gel in Refreshing Rhubarb which may not sound too appealing to anyone who knows what a stalk of rhubarb looks like, but the smell is super although it's hard to describe. The Arrojo website says it is a mix of rhubarb and honeydew melon and it is their signature scent. It is also good for your skin as it is enriched with lots of minerals. You only have to use a tiny amount for each part of your body, so this bottle is going to last me a while (it's a generous 10.1 fl. oz.). This quality for this price is usually hard to come by and as an added bonus, throughout June get 14 free sample sachets of Arrojo products with any order from arrojoproduct.com. Great shower gel with a great bonus!
BTW, I just read that everyone else finds this shower gel pricey. Ok, it's a little high, but when you take into consideration how little you are using each time, it's like the equivalent of a bottle and a half of another shower gel.

Melissa adds:

How could you not get excited about trying this product? Like all the other reviewers mentioned, it comes from Nick Arrojo’s salon from What Not to Wear so it already starts off on a good note. The packaging is simple but has a luxury feel (I’m really big on packaging).

I tried the patchouli scent and absolutely love it because it’s not too girly, but not too manly either. When I put it on, I could tell that this would be a great bodywash for summer because it was light and refreshing. There are some products that are so potent and filled with the bad stuff that you can feel the toxins, despite all the smell-good scents that are added in. This was exactly the opposite and I was pretty impressed with this shower gel.

Deedlejuse says: I seven, I guess, really enjoyed this body wash. It suds' wonderfully, smells great, leaves your skin moisturized and refreshed. Simply it is exactly everything one could want in a body wash. I had the Floral Citrus flavor and really loved it. I guess I will disagree with Movie Maven about that, it is expensive, but is also a real treat to use. I think it would be a perfect gift to go into a basket or something, or a little extravagance for yourself. So far I have been more than happy with many of the products by Arrojo, but this would be top of my list!

Malikah says: I actually adored this stuff! I've been a huge Arrojo fan since he started on WNTW, and was pleasantly surprised he had ventured info body products. The smell is absolutely divine - light, pleasant, but not overbearing. You certainly don't see rhubarb popping up in too many beauty products, but hopefully Arrojo will make it the next big thing. I was a bit turned off by the price, especially since other than the smell there were no remarkable features about it. But it would make a great gift, especially since it looks super fancy.

No comments: