Thursday, July 30, 2009

Review- Shea Moisture Raw Organic Body Lotion

Historical references to Shea Butter, a staple of African pharmacology, date back to the reported Shea Butter caravans of Cleopatra's Egypt. Frankincense, known for its toning and anti-aging properties, also as aromatherapeutic benefits, promoting mental strenght. Myrrh, a superior cosmetic ingredient in ancient remedies, can be dated to an Ebers papyrus (circa 1580BC) recipe for a facial mask.

I bought a bottle of this frankincense and myrrh scented body lotion off the cuff from Duane Reade (the major drug store chain in NYC, for those that don't know) without knowing anything about it, or having ever heard of the company. I have tried all natural raw shea butter in the past from street vendors with good results, but I found it hard to store/use (or, if I found a suitable organic version in a store, I found it to be WAY too expensive!). I'm really impressed with the body lotion so far and now plan on going back and trying a few other products by the Shea Moisture company that I also saw on the shelf. The lotion absorbs really fast with no sticky/greasy feeling and has a beautiful natural scent that lingers just long enough to sooth your senses. I've been putting this on all week before bed, especially on my beat up feet, and other than the faithful almond oil I use on my skin, this is the best moisturizer for my feet and hands that I've found to date. I highly recommend it for sun-affected skin also.

From reading the product bottle, it seems the company has a long family history in the beauty and natural body product business and I like to support small businesses and those that create products in balance with the environment and the world in general! For those interested, their website has the whole story of the businesses' humble beginnings.

No comments: