Thursday, December 10, 2009

Review- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar

A stunning new innovation in lip color, OCC Lip Tar combines the longevity of a lipstick, with the ease of application of a gloss. Goes on slick and moist, and dries down to a satin finish. Ultra-saturated in color, OCC Lip Tar contains an unprecedented amount of pigment, so a little goes a very, very long way.

I have OCC Lip Tar in NSFW (Not Safe For Work) and I originally had a love/hate relationship with it. We were off to a rocky start, but I think we've resolved our differences and now it is a staple in my bag. It is a great (we are talking AMAZING) product, but I have issues with the delivery system. It comes in a tube with a slanted top with a hole in it. The problem was that it kept gushing out without any prompting whenever I took off the cap. I finally decided that the best way to remedy the situation was to empty some into a little pot and now both original applicator & pot work brilliantly. And the color is just to die for. It's my new favorite red; it's just a bit over the top but not so bold as to make one self-conscious. I always apply it with a lip brush for extra control because it is so heavily pigmented it's just safer to apply that way. I think that this is the gloss you are going to be seeing on everyone's lips this summer. As added insurance, I use a clear lipliner around my lips to prevent bleeding. This is a definite re-buy product. Now it's just a question of whether I'll branch out from red!

Amanda S. Says:


I have the color "melange" and love it. This tar is so... unbelievable. I usually HATE lipstick because it goes on all weird, and gloss just wears off and bums me out. This stuff is like the beautiful stepsister of both, it stays on long like a *good* solid lipstick, but doesn't fade in color or bleed around all crazy (and it stayed off my teeth!). I think, honestly, this is my FAVORITE lip product... EVER. All I can say is, if you wear gloss/lipstick, ever, anytime, even just once a year, this is worth the investment to try. Just try it, you're going to love it!

Movie Maven says:

I have the lip tar in Rx, which is described on the website as "a bright, vibrant primary blue." Yes, you read that right: blue. Obviously, both Hillary and Amanda have this in colors one might actually want to wear around town, but the blue...it's not very versatile. It's intended primarily for editorial work and costumey stuff, but honestly: it's so awesome and cool that someday I'm going to be brave enough to wear it out. My adorable roommate, thus far, is the only one who's worn it outside the house, and that was only because I'd just gotten it and she was a little drunk:

this is, like, her fourth beer
FASHION, right? In any event, the highly pigmented nature of this tar means that if you want blue lips, YOU'RE GETTING BLUE LIPS. It's a great color for a cool-undertone gal like me (if I wanted to look FASHION). In any event, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics gets beaucoup points from me just for having this color - it's costume-quality makeup at drugstore (well, almost) prices.


Josephine says: Amazingly, this gloss is more of a stain than many stains I own. Not only that but it's a stain with the thickest most opaque high gloss finish that I have ever seen in a lipgloss. Once the gloss has dissolved, what's left is a striking resemblance of the color that might just take turpentine to get off. You see the paradox here, right? The colors are exactly what you see in the tube (I have the hilarious yet accurately named "Grandma" which is a quasi-coral and day-glo orange blend), ridiculously highly pigmented and thus, somewhat of a challenge to get off. I think I might be in love.

Sultana says: So, I got this in "Fondue" as in chocolate fondue. If you have a very vivid imagination, picture a chocolate fondue fountain. I wanted to eat this before I put it on my lips!! Unfortunately, this is just a strange color. I cant think of one skin tone this would look good on. It definitely did not look good on me. However, this is a great product. If I had the right color I know I would be wearing this everyday. It stayed on all day (in the privacy of my own home of course). It has some great staying power. Some of the colors are very true, but if you are bold and like to experiment then this is perfect for you!

Malikah says: I got this in "Conquest" which is an opaque white shade. And it goes on your lips white! The whole nude lip thing was a really big trend on the runways last season, and I'm imagining on someone with really fair skin it would look awesome in a Paris couture kind of way, but on me it was just downright weird. See exhibit A:
I was definitely not going to go out of my house rocking this look, but I have to admit it did feel really smooth, and as dry as they look, my lips actually felt moisturized. I adore the formula, and would use this again in a different color of course!

I got this Lip Tar in Hush, they say the shade is "Pale, Antique Bridal Pink" and that, I'll say is the truth. I will begin by saying that I have very pale skin, and blond hair. I can totally rock the nude lip, except when it exactly matches my pink skin tone! It was just too nude, too pale, too something. I think when using this product (and you should definitely use this product!) you should really get a deeper shade (if your my coloring) and assume that its not going anywhere. Its too opaque to wear a nude shade, if you want to take yourself seriously, but it really stays on and has the nicest feel to it. Its really a product that outperforms itself!

5 comments:

deedlejuse said...

Ummmm.... I love you Movie Maven! You are hysterical. Your roommate does look adorable though....

Amanda S. said...

amazing amazing amazing amazing!

Movie Maven said...

Right? So cute.

Hillary said...

To Movie Maven's Roomate: I'm Mr. Cold Miser, I'm Mr. Snow...

Heather said...

This picture makes me so happy.